General Information & Discharge Handbook
Burn Education: Your Health Matters
Patient Discharge Instructions
Burn Prevention: Your Health Matters
- Juvenile Firesetters presented by Gene Schiller, PhD
- Stop Burning Process presented by Bruce Potenza, MD
- Crawl Low presented by Amy Fireck, Volunteer
- Stop, Drop, and Roll presented by Oscar Rodriguez, Firefighter
- Matches and Lighters presented by Ken Hebdon, Police Officer
- Kitchen Oil Fire
- At the Fire Fighting Training school they would demonstrate this with a deep fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire suit and using an 8 oz cup at the end of a 10 foot pole toss water onto the grease fire. The results got the attention of the students.
The water, being heavier than the oil, sinks to the bottom where it instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows the burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty foot high fireball that resembled a nuclear blast. Inside the confines of a kitchen, the fire ball hits the ceiling and fills the entire room.
Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite.