- Burn Treatment and Reconstruction
My research focus is directly associated with my clinical activity and is predominantly translational. I study many aspects of burns, from initial treatment of a burn wound to new techniques for reconstructive surgery and wound care during healing. I investigate the use of skin grafts and various types of artificial materials in reconstruction. I also study mechanisms of infection after trauma, factors in aging of the skin, and factors that have an effect on wound healing.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES AND PROJECTS
- Biomechanical testing and histologic examination of tendon repair using a biocompatible anti-adhesive. (Animal model)
- Flap preservation strategies using fat derived progenitor cells and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. (Animal model)
- Computer generated flap desig
- Szulgit G, Rudolph R, Wandel A, Tenenhaus M, Panos R, Gardner H. Alterations in fibroblast α1βeta1 integrin collagen receptor expression in keloids and hypertrophic scars. J Invest Dermatol 118:409-415, 2002
- Tenenhaus M, Bhavsar D, Koch J, Rennekampff O, Stein P. Role of apoptosis in burn. Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation 26(2): S46-47, 2005.
- Tenenhaus M, Rennekampff H-O, Pfau M, Hamprecht K. Cytomegalovirus and Burns: current perceptions, awareness, diagnosis, and management strategies in the USA and Germany. J Burn Care Res 27:281-288, 2006
- Tenenhaus M, Bhavsar D, Rennekampff H-O. Treatment of deep partial thickness and indeterminate depth facial burn wounds with water-jet debridement and a biosynthetic dressing. Injury, Int J Care Injured 38 Suppl 5: S39-45, 2007.
- Bhavsar D, Shettko D, Tenenhaus M. Encircling the tendon repair site with Collagen-GAG reduces formation of post-operative tendon adhesions in a chicken flexor tendon model. J Surg Res 159(2): 765-771, 2010.
- Dr. Hans-Oliver Rennekampff, Hannover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
- Wendy Havran, Ph.D. Professor, Department of Immunology and Microbial Science, Scripps Research Institute
- Gottfried Lemperle, M.D., Ph.D. Professor Interplast Germany, Germany