Procedure for Applying to the Internship in General Surgery
November 1, 2013
Interview Day Information
- November 21-22, 2013
- December 5-6, 2013
- January 16-17, 2014
Senior medical students and other applicants applying for internship/first-year residency (PMD I) in surgery are selected through the National Resident Matching Program. An application, dean's report, transcript, and three letters of recommendation are required. All completed applications are considered, and arrangements for personal interviews are at the discretion of each Residency Review Committee.
Applicants applying directly to their residency specialty need not submit a separate application for the PMD I (internship) year. Further information may be obtained by calling the Department of Surgery at (619) 471-3859.
Residency Application Procedure
Applications for the surgery residency program are accepted electronically through ERAS. Applications are considered complete when the following documentation is received through ERAS:
- Common Application Form (CAF)
- CV Report (Generated by the Program from the CAF)
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript(s)
- Dean's Letter (expected after November 1st)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (One Chairman letter if possible)
- Official transcripts from NBME indicating USMLE scores (Parts 1 and 2 if available)
- NRMP Applicant Number
In addition to the above, students and graduates of international medical schools must provide the following:
- Verification of ECFMG certification (provided through ERAS)
- Verification of United States residency status (permanent resident, naturalized citizen, etc.)*.
- Copy of valid (unexpired) Medical Board of California Authorization Letter.